[Image-SIG] Read EPS (bitmap and vector), TIFF and PSD on windows

Markus Meyer meyer at mesw.de
Thu Sep 1 15:57:04 CEST 2005

Stefano,

at least for vector EPS, you definitely need a RIP (raster image
processor). Of course, Photoshop has kind of a RIP built-in, so it can
interpret vector formats. Ghostscript is a well-known open source RIP
which can be used over command line, but it won't help you with reading
PSD files. But there are commercial RIPs available which can read
PhotoShop files, for a list see:

http://www.wide-formatimaging.com/resources/rips.shtml

Most of these programs should be able to create JPG previews. Commercial
RIPs normally work using a "hot folder", that is, an application (or the
user) copies the file to be converted into a folder, the RIP picks it
up, processes it and writes the output to another folder automatically.

Markus