[Image-SIG] Creating multi-image TIFFs

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Sep 11 12:54:07 CEST 2005

Creating multi-image TIFFs(please don't send "rich text" mails to this list)

Tom Harris wrote:

> I have a simple requirement that I can't figure out from the docs. I want to create
> a multi image TIFF from several other images, but I can find no information on
> how to create a multi-image TIFF in PIL. Possible in PIL, or should I look at
> netPBM?

a simple way to do this is to use PIL to save the individual frames,
and use the "tiffcp" utility to create the final multipage image.

"tiffcp" is part of the "libtiff" tool suite, and is installed by default on
many (most?) linuxes.  source code and windows binaries can be
found here:

    http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/