[Image-SIG] PIL Install Problems

David Edwards spamslam23 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 16:40:49 CEST 2005

I'm trying to install the Imaging Library (v 1.1.5),
but it's not finding the Freetype2 component that it
says it needs and I downloaded. I put it in the same
directory as the zlib and jpeg components.

I've tried modifying the setup.py file to tell it
exactly where to look, but it makes no difference in
the results. Trying to install what it does find gives
me this error:

creating
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages
error: could not create
'/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages':
File exists

Can anyone help with this?

Maybe this is a naive question, but I don't understand
why the library isn't available as standard
installable package for Mac OS X, just like many other
commercial, freeware, and shareware items. It can't be
that hard, since Apple gives you the tools as part of
the OS, and it would eliminate these types of
problems.

Thank you.