[Image-SIG] PIL Install Problems

Laszlo Zsolt Nagy gandalf at designaproduct.biz
Mon Sep 19 16:59:28 CEST 2005

David Edwards wrote:

>I'm trying to install the Imaging Library (v 1.1.5),
>but it's not finding the Freetype2 component that it
>says it needs and I downloaded. I put it in the same
>directory as the zlib and jpeg components.
>
>I've tried modifying the setup.py file to tell it
>exactly where to look, but it makes no difference in
>the results. Trying to install what it does find gives
>me this error:
>
>creating
>/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages
>error: could not create
>'/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages':
>File exists
>
>Can anyone help with this?

I cannot help you building on MAC. I do not own MAC. :-( AFAIK
But possibly you cannot build truetype support on MAC at all. MAC has
its own font format.

In the documentation

http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/imagedraw.htm

under 'Fonts' there is a sentence:

"Note that OpenType/TrueType support is optional, and may not be
supported by all PIL builds."

  Les