[Image-SIG] Writing a Custom PIL ImageFilter

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 00:28:04 CEST 2006

I was looking into PIL ImageFilters, but I am unable to find any substansial
information about writing new filters for use with PIL.ImageFilter. At this
point, I'm still not sure that it is possible or not, because I haven't
found a single shred of information about doing so, or spoken with anyone
who knows anything about it.

I know there is the Kernel convolution filter, as has been suggested before.
But that isn't what I need. I actually need to write the filter entirely and
have complete per-pixel control. I would like to prototype the filter in
python, but some information on writing an extension to optimize it would be
fantastic.