[Image-SIG] tricky setup for multiple pythons

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Wed Aug 9 02:20:22 CEST 2006

I have a need to run multiple python versions. The version of python
that came with my distribution works for many sysadmin scripts that
come with that version and needs to remain in place. I also need to
run zope with requires a newer python version.

I do have a PIL rpm that installed pil in the python that came with my
distribution. PIL found all the jpeg and png libraries it needed  for
that version so I am confident that everything PIL wants is installed
in  my system.

so I built python  with prefix=/work/webenv

now, when I build PIL I used that particular version of python and
invoke it as

/work/webenv/bin/python setup.py build_ext

the PIL setup cannot find libjpeg..

so I modified setup.py and hardwire the directories

JPEG_ROOT = "/usr/lib64"
ZLIB_ROOT = "/usr/lib64"

Still, setup.py cannot find jpeg libraries..

I'm really lost on what setup.py is really looking for, and how to
make sure it finds it.

Again, I do have PIL installed and working for the version of python
that was packaged with my distribution. But I need a different version
of python to run zope. Any pointers would be appreciated.

--
David Bear
phone: 	602-496-0424