[Image-SIG] Compiling PIL with JPEG support does not work at all

TiNo tinodb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 19:18:43 CET 2006

Hi,

I know there are many people experiencing the same problem, and there
are different solutions around, but I am still unable to compile PIL
with JPEG support.

I am on a shared webhost (bluehost) and have build python 2.5. I am
now trying to build PIL.

I have build jpeg-6b from http://www.ijg.org/  in
/home/spafenet/lib/lib/jpeg (that now contains bin/ and man/)

My setup.py looks like this (relevant part:):
# --------------------------------------------------------------------
# Library pointers.
#
# Use None to look for the libraries in well-known library locations.
# Use a string to specify a single directory, for both the library and
# the include files.  Use a tuple to specify separate directories:
# (libpath, includepath).  Examples:
#
# JPEG_ROOT = "/home/libraries/jpeg-6b"
# TIFF_ROOT = "/opt/tiff/lib", "/opt/tiff/include"
#
# If you have "lib" and "include" directories under a common parent,
# you can use the "libinclude" helper:
#
# TIFF_ROOT = libinclude("/opt/tiff")

FREETYPE_ROOT = None
JPEG_ROOT = "/home/spafenet/lib/lib/jpeg/bin"
TIFF_ROOT = None
ZLIB_ROOT = "/home/spafenet/lib/lib/zlib/lib","/home/spafenet/lib/lib/zlib/include"
TCL_ROOT = None

I have also tried JPEG_ROOT = "/home/spafenet/lib/lib/jpeg/" but that
doesn't work either.

Building report (for both options):

PIL 1.1.6 BUILD SUMMARY
version       1.1.6
platform      linux2 2.5 (r25:51908, Dec 18 2006, 13:56:40)
              [GCC 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-3)]
*** TKINTER support not available
*** JPEG support not available
--- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
*** FREETYPE2 support not available
To add a missing option, make sure you have the required
library, and set the corresponding ROOT variable in the
setup.py script.

To check the build, run the selftest.py script.

It works with the ZLIB though. As it takes my 1.2.3 version over the
preinstalled 1.2.1.2 version. (got a warning previously). But it
refuses to accept the JPEG.

Any suggestions?