[Image-SIG] Problems with JPEG support with PIL 1.1.5 on Mac OSX 10.4

Andy Todd andy47 at halfcooked.com
Sat Feb 18 03:14:44 CET 2006

Back in December I wrote to the list [1] asking for help getting JPEG
support to work with PIL on my Mac.

Well I finally got it working and thought I would share my solution with
the list for posterity's sake.

Essentially because I'd installed libjpeg using fink it wasn't in any of
the 'usual' library locations that PIL's setup.py was expecting. So
after unpacking the PIL source distribution I edited the setup.py file,
changing line 32 from;

JPEG_ROOT = None

to;

JPEG_ROOT = "/sw/lib"

And the usual python setup.py install worked like a dream.

[1] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/image-sig/2005-December/003710.html

Regards,
Andy