[Image-SIG] Retrieve a GIF's palette entries using Python Imaging Library (PIL)

Stuart White stuart.white1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 04:52:06 CET 2006

Thank you for posting this response.  It is indeed a thorough
discussion of what a palette is and how to set it.

I'm looking for a way to *retrieve* an image's palette (without
modifying it in any way).  So, I definitely don't want to use
putpalette().  A "palette" attribute exists in the "Image" class that
returns an object of type "ImagePalette", but for the life of me, I
can't figure out how to use this object to retrieve the image's
palette RGB values.  And I can't seem to find anything by Googling
either.