[Image-SIG] Image Problems

William Baxter bbaxter at wadsworth.org
Thu Jan 19 16:13:51 CET 2006

I also had to write Python code to import a custom format into PIL, for
the SPIDER image processing system
(www.wadsworth.org/spider_doc/spider/docs/spider.html). Perhaps my
experience can give you some pointers.

First, remember that image processing is distinct from display. PIL can
apply operations to your data (change the grey-scale information), but
you'll need a graphical library, like Tkinter or wxPython, to create a
display GUI (e.g., view the slices by using a scroll button or the arrow
keys).

To import images into PIL, see "Writing Your Own File Decoder"
(www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/decoder.htm). You'll write
something with a name like PurdueCATImagePlugin.py, which will go into
the python/site-packages/PIL  directory, and import this, along with
Image, into Python. See the other xxxPlugin.py files in the PIL
directory for more examples.

To write your own Plugin.py, the first step is to know how the header
(if any) is structured so you can find where the data starts in the
file. Your data takes up 74973184 bytes (512x512x143x2). If this is the
size of the file, then there is no header, and you can try to read in
the raw data. If your file is larger than this, then the header should
be headerbytes = (filesize - 74973184) bytes. Try skipping headerbytes
into the file and reading the raw data. If it's anything more
complicated than this, then you'll need to get as much information as
you can from the CAT scanner documentation about its output format.

Good luck!

Bill Baxter
Wadsworth Center
Empire State Plaza, PO Box 509