[Image-SIG] Python crashes on FreeType bindings -- replicable

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Sat Jun 17 10:12:38 CEST 2006

I'm getting many crashes when using the FreeType bindings in PIL with
Python on Windows XP.

The crashes are consistant, on certain glyphs in certain fonts. At
http://www.twardoch.com/tmp/crashPilFont.zip there is a small archive
that contains a Python script, the binary libraries, some fonts of which
one causes a crash (the italic), and an out.txt file that shows the
output of the script (showing when it crashed).

I'm always getting the same crash:

AppName: python.exe     AppVer: 0.0.0.0     ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180     Offset: 00010f29

I tried this on two different Windows XP machines (one having a normal
clean install of Windows, Python and PIL, the other being a developer's
machine with many different things installed). I've tried Python 2.4.3
with PIL 1.1.5, I've tried Python 2.5a2 with the pre-built PIL 1.1.6a0.
I even tried the _imaging and _imagingft copies from Reportlab
(http://www.reportlab.org/ftp/win32-dlls/2.4/). All the same.

But many other fonts work just fine.

In my code, I'm calling _imaging and _imagingft directly. That's just to
nail the problem down. I've used the "official" way over PIL.Image and
PIL.ImageFont, it's all the same.

It appears that the crash occurs at the line
im = _imaging.fill(self.mode, self.size, 0)
which is quite strange.

Do you know why this may be happening?

Adam Twardoch