[Image-SIG] Vigra image processing library

Ronald Sipkema ronald at sipkema-digital.com
Sat Mar 11 15:54:38 CET 2006

Dieter Vanderelst wrote:
> I would like to know whether there are people that have been using the
> Vigra image processing library with python
> (http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~koethe/vigra/) ?
>
> If you have would it be possible to tell me how you did this? Did you
> use Swig? Or are there other (easier) options available?

I used Boost.Python in combination with the numarray c-API to export
some algorithms I wrote in Vigra to be exported to python on the image
level; I don't think exporting Vigra on a lower level than that is
either feasible nor preferable: numarray support in python is quite good
and Vigra's templated C++ design is going to be hard to pythonize
anyway. OF course you could use Numeric or PIL or any other library that
supports images to represent your images in python and then have
bindings to run Vigra algorithms on those.

--Ronald