[Image-SIG] Linking issues with 1.1.5 on x86_64

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu May 18 09:14:41 CEST 2006

Nick Bower wrote:

> I've some experience building PIL, but for some reason JPEG and other decoders
> are not working for a particular architecture (FC4 on sun x86 opterons).  The
> build script reports JPEG support ok after I configure setup.py
> for /usr/lib64 and the build even seems to link correctly, but at runtime
> such actions as Image.open('test.jpg').save('x.jpg') report the well known
> "Module PIL.Image, line 328, in _getdecoder IOError: decoder jpeg not
> available"

I doubt this is a build issue as much as it is an installation issue;
if the setup file says that you have JPEG support, and you don't get
any linker errors, you shouldn't get any "decoder jpeg not available"
messages either.

try running Python with the -v (or -vv) option, to see if it really
picks up the _imaging module you built.

     $ python -vv -c "import _imaging"