[Image-SIG] PIL error: IOError: decoder jpeg not available

Niurka Perez perez.niurka at gmail.com
Fri May 19 19:13:23 CEST 2006

We have used PIL since over a year now in our windows XP desktops, with no
problem at all. The only functionality we use is the one related to
thumbnail creation.

Now we are making a deploy of the whole system we develop to a different
operating system.. with the following configuration:
 Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-54
Python 2.4.3
PIL 1.1.5

The same combination of python and PIL versions works great in windows, but
when we moved to Linux RedHat, we keep getting the error "decoder jpeg not
available". We went through all the README file that comes with PIL and we
make sure libjpeg6b was installed, as well as the zlib.

When PIL is installed it says:
*** TKINTER support not available
*--- JPEG support ok
--- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
**** FREETYPE2 support not available

But a second after PIL installation, we run selftest.py and it keeps saying
the error "decoder jpeg not available". As a result, when we test our
program, for gif, bmp and tif files the create thumbnails perfectly; for jpg
and png we can´t.

Any help will be extremmely appreciated.... We've been dealing with this
problem for quite a while now...

Best Regards,
Niurka