[Image-SIG] data in EPS

abel deuring adeuring at gmx.net
Sat Sep 9 13:46:39 CEST 2006

Narendra,

> can i know where in the EPS file will we have the image data, the size
> of the data, so that i can extract the data for further processing.

You can find the EPS specification at
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/ps/index_specs.html .
You'll find also the Postscript reference on this page.

> if the EPS file is created by Photoshop, will the image data be after
> Begin Photoshop line.

Probably ;) But to be honest, I don't know any details about
Photoshop EPS files. Perhaps you can find something on the Adobe
website.

> and if the EPS file does not contain Begin photoshop then what tag
> should i search for the image data within the EPS, because i saw there
> is begin data and begin binary, which is the image data now, and how is
> it represented.....
>

> please reply to this message immediately, i should finish this project
> within a week.

Well, the simplest thing is to use PIL's EPS plugin ;) If you cannot
or don't want to use the plugin: Good luck. While it should be
possible to parse Photoshop EPS files in order to find and read the
pixel data, once you have found the necessary information about
Photoshop EPS files, an arbitrary EPS file is a different matter.
Postscript is a programming language, hence you need a Postscript
interpreter, if you want process arbitrary EPS files. And this is
exactly, what PIL's EpsImagePlugin.py uses: Ghostscript.

Abel