[Image-SIG] verifying pil libraries

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Mon Sep 25 18:40:54 CEST 2006

I installed pil into a separate python instance on my machine. Running
the setup I initially got an error that pil couldn't find libraries
for jpeg. So I ran yast (I'm using suse 9.3 ) and installed the jpeg
libaries. then rerunning setup for pil seemed to give a pass for jpeg
and png. I continued the install.

I also have a zope instance the uses this instance of python. Last
week I attempted to use a producted that required pil to process a
jpg. I got an exception that 'decoder jpeg not available'.

So I think I have 3 questions.

1) how to clean up a pil installation that doesn't have the decoders
that I need -- (do I need to remove the existing pil installation
first)

2) what tests are available to check an existing pil installation for
decoders it has available

3) what else do I need to install to make sure that pil has the
libraries that it needs? Here's a list of jpeg libs I have installed
via rpm's : rpm -qa | grep jpeg
	libjpeg-devel-32bit-9.3-7
	jpeg-6b-738
	libjpeg-32bit-9.3-7