[Image-SIG] seeking guidance on image conversion

Michele Petrazzo - Unipex srl michele.petrazzo at unipex.it
Tue Apr 10 11:43:37 CEST 2007

Brad Allen wrote:
> Hello,

> I am new to this list, having gotten involved in a project at work
> that uses PIL. I am looking for guidance in a few areas, hoping to
> find a better way than our methods for manipulating images.
>
> We have a workflow which involves converting various file formats to
> TIFF, and allowing them to be viewed and manipulated in a wxPython
> app.

A solution can be that already replied.
Another can be to use freeimagepy that is born because PIL doesn't
handle, like I need, the g3, g4 and multipage tiff files.
I create it, and I use it, for hylapex, a fax client that need to work
with fax files, that are in g3 and g4 format!
My old solution, like you wrote, was use the tiff gnuwin32 files, but
work with a dll a some python (ctypes) code, are better! :)

> Here is a list of the image conversions we are performing:
>
> * One of the Python scripts is calling Linux tiffsplit command to
> convert multipage faxes (TIFF group 4 compressed) into collections of
>  single page TIFFs.

Ok with freeimagepy (convertToMultiPage and convertToSinglePages)

> * The wxPython app is calling GnuWin32's tiffcp.exe to rejoin single
> page TIFFs into multipage TIFFs.

Like above

> * We're calling the ImageMagick convert command to make PDFs into
> TIFFs.

I use ghostscript (present on linux, but not on win, where I need it and
install it every time) for do all the work.
It's not so difficult to do the work. If you need some questions, I'm here.

> * We're calling an Open Office 1.1.5 command line tool to convert
> Word documents to PDF (which then get converted to TIFF by
> ImageMagick).

Like said, you can use pdfcreator or ghostscript itself, that has the
psXXX and pdfXXX devices.

> In some of these cases there may be C libraries we could wrap, but if
>  someone has already done that work or if there is a better approach
> I would be grateful to hear about it.

My image library wrapper are there! If you want to contribute for add
the part that I don't already wrap, contact me!

> Thanks!

Bye,
Michele