[Image-SIG] Newbie question on color detection and tracking

Jonathan Shao jzshao1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 04:08:56 CEST 2007

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to image processing, so please bear with
me...

What I want to do is to set up a static camera such that it can track the
motion of a person wearing a particular color marker walking around in an
interior room (no windows). The "color marker" can be something like a
t-shirt with a unique color distinctly different from the background, and I
think I'll need to take periodic snap-shots of the room to simulate
real-time tracking as closely as possible. In effect, it's a simplified
scenario for person tracking.

For now, I'm just trying to get the color detection part of my project
working. I think I should be to just do a simple background subtraction
between a snapshot by the camera and a reference image of the background,
and that should be able to give me good color detection. The issues I'm
concerned with:

a) Do I need to worry about different hues/illuminations of the same color?

b) Is this a realistic method to implement with the PIL, or would I have to
deal with issues of speed while trying to track the marker?

--
"Perhaps we all give the best of our hearts uncritically, to those who
hardly think about us in return."