[Image-SIG] Fw: Python - WEIRD Code needed (help with)

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 4 21:16:44 CET 2007

You'll need to be a little more clear about what you're asking:

1) how to call a python program from VB -- I have no idea, try
comp.lang.python, or a PyWin32 mailing list if there is one. Although
calling a python program as a command line program from VB should be
trivial -- but why use Python for that? Why not go all the way?

2) How to do this all in Python -- If you want a GUI, you need to choose
a toolkit first -- I recommend wxPython, but TkInter, PYGTK, PyQT, etc
are good options, too.

3) How to do the image generation/manipulation -- then PIL (and this
list) may be the best place, but you could also just do it straight with
the GUI toolkit (wxPython anyway). You might also want to use the
"numpy" package -- it's a good way to manipulate arrays of numbers.

4) If you want the equivalent of video feedback, but without actual
images, just numbers, then numpy is definitely a good way to go.

If I wanted to write a program that demonstrated video feedback, I'd
probably do the number crunching with numpy, and make a GUI to display
and manipulate the results in wxPython. I'm not sure where VB would fit
into this.

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov