[Image-SIG] PIL 1.1.6 eval function

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Thu Jan 11 18:07:03 CET 2007

The important thing to remember about eval() is that it does not operate
on the entire pixel: the function is for a single color channel at a
time, and behaves the same on all channels in the image.  So your
function takes a single argument, and returns a single value.  Then the
function is used to adjust the values of pixels one channel at a time.

Also, the function isn't actually evaluated for each pixel: it is used
to build a lookup table, then the table is used to remap values.

--Ned.