[Image-SIG] TrueType support?

Jim Tittsler jwt at onjapan.net
Sat Jul 14 01:27:47 CEST 2007

On Jul 14, 2007, at 06:39, Brian Riordan wrote:

> Are TrueType fonts only supported or available through the PIL Plus
> package.  I have managed to import .pil font files have ever I need
> much large font sizes then the one I have been able to find.  If
> anyone has any large font size (64 - 84) or knows how to change
> TrueType to BDF I would really appreciate it.

No, PIL can take advantage of the freetype library if it finds it at
build time.  You may need to explictly set FREETYPE_ROOT in PIL's
setup.py to point to the library if you've installed it in a non-
standard place.

I think most Linux distribution packages of PIL include freetype
support by default, and the OS X pre-compiled package does as well.