[Image-SIG] install of PIL under cygwin fails

Mark Wendell mark.wendell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 05:34:51 CEST 2007

Hello - I'm trying to install PIL in cygwin under windows vista. I'm
running the latest cygwin-setup-installed python 2.5. I've tried two
ways:

a) Grab the install files manually, unzip and untar them, and run
"python setup.py install" from the resulting folder.
b) Just run "easy_install -f http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil Imaging".

With method a), here's the output I get before it hangs indefinitely:
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building '_imaging' extension
gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-DHAVE_LIBZ -IlibImaging -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/python2.5 -c
encode.c -o build/temp.cygwin-1.5.24-i686-2.5/encode.o
gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-DHAVE_LIBZ -IlibImaging -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/python2.5 -c
map.c -o build/temp.cygwin-1.5.24-i686-2.5/map.o

With method b), it writes out a temporary .s file, and then just hangs.

Anyone else see this? Any ideas how it get past this and get a good
install of PIL under cygwin?

Note that the PIL windows installer works just fine on the same
machine, and I can use the Image module when using the
windows-installed python.

thanks in advance,
Mark

--