[Image-SIG] working with multi-spectral imagery, PIL, and NumPy

Nate Jennings nate at deltateck.com
Fri May 4 23:47:39 CEST 2007

Hello...

I am working on building an image processing application for a class I am
teaching in remote sensing.
I have multi-spectral (multi-band...greater than 3 bands of imagery) that I
would like to load into a NumPy array so I can process it.  PIL seems to be
limited to 3 bands for PIL.  Is there any other methods using PIL, NumPy, or
other to work with more than 3 bands?

The file format I am working with is TIF.  The data is often from satellites
(Landsat, SPOT, RADAR) or hyperspectral.

I would like to do pixel processing such as custom filters that are not
found in PIL, band ratios, image enhancements such as Principle Components,
and image classification (such as maximum likelihood, or ISOData
(unsupervised classification).  Many of these functions require linear
algebra, trigonometry functions, and statistics (the use of means, st
deviations, histograms, etc) as well as 3x3, 5x5, or greater kernels (i.e.
moving windows).

>From my research there seems to be some work out there regarding 3 band
images, performance testing for PIL and C routines, some basic filtering
functions and kernel use.

My work is related to remote sensing and GIS.  Yes, I know about GRASS, but
this is too complicated for my students who know very little about remote
sensing and GIS.  It looks like QGIS and GRASS have some integration, but it
is still too cumbersome for novice users.  I have been through a remote
sensing algorithms class in grad school and I have fundamental knowledge of
the math and programming logic.  I am just trying to get it to work with
Python, wxPython interface building, PIL, NumPy, and anything else I may
need.  Trying to communicate Python to C++ is beyond my capability without
any serious documentation or samples to work from.  I know C++, but it has
been over 10 year since I programmed in this and it was done in OS2.

Please provide me with links, sample code, and/or contacts to follow up
with.

Thank you in advance with any information.

Nate

--
http://www.jenningsplanet.com