[Image-SIG] working with multi-spectral imagery, PIL, and NumPy

Ali Santacruz amsd2013 at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 05:05:09 CEST 2007

Hi Nate,

I am also working in an academic application for image processing (remote
sensing data) based in Python, which is intended to accompany a book over
this topic (written in Spanish).

I have been working around the same tools you mention (PIL, Numpy,
wxPython), as you can see in the attached file, although a problem I have
found with PIL is that the georeference is lost after the processing (I have
had also some problems linking this to an interface developed with wxPython,
a question that I am going to send to the wxPython list soon). Now, I am
looking toward GDAL.

Maybe you have seen this doc:
http://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/0405/files/python.pdf, where there is an
interesting example using GDAL (page 2, listing 1). I tried it with my own
data, but I got an unexpected result. Anyway, you can also take a look at
hobutools (http://hobu.biz/software/hobutools/index_html), which include
several tools (GDAL/OGR, MapScript, …) for Python 2.4.

I have written some functions for image preprocessing (contrast adjustment,
PCA, filtering) in the R language, which is also a very useful language for
teaching purposes, although it is not well-fitted for very large datasets,
like a raster image (that is one of the reasons why I am going to make the
translation to Python).

I think it is also worthy to look at PCL (Python Cartographic Library) and
the GRASS/Python interface, but as you know, they require a more advanced
knowledge.

Regards,

Ali Santacruz
M.Sc. Geomatics, Student