[Image-SIG] Proper Package for PIL

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Thu Nov 8 22:30:13 CET 2007

Hello everyone,

I am a Zope 3 developer and we have moved all our code into PyPI projects.
Some of our packages require PIL. Unfortunately, we cannot list PIL as a
dependency, since its distributions are not uploaded to PyPI and the download
URL does not provide access the adequate links.

For us, having a valid package/egg for PIL at the right location is very
important. I would love to contribute proper packaging and eggification to
PIL. (In fact, the Zope 3 community already has a proper, Tk-free egg for PIL
at http://download.zope.org/distribution/PILwoTk-1.1.6.3.tar.gz.)

However, even if we package PIL correctly, we cannot put it into PyPI, since
noone but "effbot" has permissions to upload new PIL releases.

So what do we have to do to get this done?

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter