[Image-SIG] PIL and TIFF Group 4 decoder support

Marijn Vriens mvriens at microsystem.cl
Mon Oct 29 22:01:04 CET 2007

Listers,

I have been at this problem for a couple of hours now, and I'm at a loss.

I need to get PIL working with TIFF files that have the group4 encoding (
<type 'exceptions.IOError'>: decoder group4 not available ) . Googling
around I found some patches (from 2003!) that add support for this to PIL.
But it doesn't patch well against PIL 1.1.6. I found a newer patch (
http://static.wiredfool.com/Imaging-1.1.6-group4.patch ) but that doesn't
seem to work against libtiff 3.8.2. I also installed the libtiff4-dev, but
the PIL compile still complains about a missing tiffiop.h file

Somehow I have the feeling I'm going about it all wrong. should it be this
hard to get support for a well known format like TIFF in PIL? Any hints to
get proper TIFF support in PIL?

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) on i686 with python 2.5, PIL 1.1.6 and
3.8.2-7ubuntu2 .

Regards,
      Marijn Vriens.