[Image-SIG] PIL builds for Mac OS X

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Fri Apr 4 18:12:13 CEST 2008

I usually just build from source:

  setenv CPPFLAGS "-I${distdir}/include"
  setenv LDFLAGS "-L${distdir}/lib"
  setenv CXXFLAGS "-I${distdir}/include"

  rm -f /tmp/foo-mac-uplib
  cp setup.py /tmp/foo-mac-uplib
  sed -e "s;/sw;${distdir};" < /tmp/foo-mac-uplib > setup.py
  python setup.py build
  python setup.py install --prefix=${distdir}

The fact that Fink (/sw) is mentioned in setup.py is an issue, and the
reason for the above scripting.  I find Fink more of a hindrance than
a help.

This, of course, is on a machine with libpng, libjpeg, libtiff,
freetype, and t1lib pre-installed in ${distdir}.  In my experience,
it's finding and/or installing these libraries correctly that's the
issue when building PIL.

Bill