[Image-SIG] im.show does not show, and Tkinter isn't displaying my jpg image

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Apr 4 20:14:47 CEST 2008

Guy K. Kloss wrote:

> I've been thinking already that xv is pretty much a tool of the past. I've
> circumnavigated this problem on my Linux box by sym-linking /usr/local/xv
> to /usr/bin/display (of ImageMagick). Maybe it would be more appropriate
> for "moder times" to replace xv with display within PIL for show() on UN*X
> platforms?

indeed (and if someone wants to produce a well-tested patch for this, be
my guest).

note that as a workaround, you can pass in the command you want to use:

     im.show(command="display")

or override the Image._showxv method, via "monkey patching", e.g.

     import Image

     def myshow(image, title, *args):
         f = os.popen("mydisplayprogram -")
         image.save(f, "PNG")