[Image-SIG] PIL builds for Mac OS X

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Sat Apr 5 01:04:05 CEST 2008

> It might be nice to have another one for Python2.4 or Apple's Python,
> but that's less critical.

As you say, we've discussed this before.  I think the #1 priority
should be an installer for PIL that works with the system Python, what
Chris is calling Apple Python.  That's what users have, pre-installed.
For Python 2.3.5 (on OS X 10.4), and Python 2.5 (on OS X 10.5).  And
universal, so that it works on both Intel and PPC.  (No, I don't know
how to build a "universal" extension.)

After that's in place, then an installer for the non-Apple Python
distributed from python.org would also be a good thing.  As for the
rest, let them build from source.

Bill