[Image-SIG] PIL builds for Mac OS X

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Sat Apr 5 01:33:20 CEST 2008

Bill Janssen wrote:
> As you say, we've discussed this before.  I think the #1 priority
> should be an installer for PIL that works with the system Python, what
> Chris is calling Apple Python.  That's what users have, pre-installed.
> For Python 2.3.5 (on OS X 10.4), and Python 2.5 (on OS X 10.5).

I beg to differ. Apple's Python2.5 on OS-X 10.5 (Leopard) is the only
one that is worth supporting. Early versions simply are not, and we
really, really, don't want to encourage anyone to use them -- it's just
not that hard to start with a download of an up to date Python.

 > And universal, so that it works on both Intel and PPC.

Which isn't an option with the python Apple delivered with 10.4.

In theory, one can support both "MacPython" 2.5 and Apple's Python 2.5
with one installer, which would be the idea situation.

 > After that's in place, then an installer for the non-Apple Python
 > distributed from python.org would also be a good thing.

I still think this is the first priority -- it works on most OS-X
systems, etc. And it's analogous to Windows -- everyone builds Windows
binaries for the python.org Python -- it IS the Canonical python build.

 >  As for the rest, let them build from source.

Agreed. Fink and macports are their own worlds, like cygwin is.

 >  (No, I don't know how to build a "universal" extension.)

It happens by default if you use distutils to build it, but the tricky
part is that all the libs you link to need to be universal too.

I haven't built PIL in a while -- do you still need to build the core
library with a regular old make before building the extension? Or does
distutils build the whole thing? If the former, it will take some
tweaking to make sure that it's built universal.

Fredrik, I guess it's clear why you haven't done this before. Sigh.

I'm going to post a note to the pythonmac list to clarify if we can
build a single binary for both Apple's 2.5 and MacPython2.5 -- if so,
that's the best option.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov