[Image-SIG] problem in converting pixel data to image file

Ashish Sethi ashishbitsgoa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 08:44:55 CEST 2008

thanks for the reply,
I am a noob in python and image processing and really appreciate your
patience with me
and sorry about the 0-16 bit crap
about the garbage data...if that is binary data then shouldn't ppm(p3)
image contain information in ascii (only p6 data contains binary).
Does this mean pil accepts only p6 and not p3 files??
About the use of these files, well i am creating a tool to convert a
veriety of color spaces.
Now i'll be really blunt and tell u the complete detail of the
work...no matter how stupid it makes me look (as if i am not already
looking it!!!)

IF there is a file in ppm format like

P3
3 3
15
0 0 0   10 10 10  2 2 2
1 1 1   12 12 12  4 4 4
4 4 4   11 11 11  9 9 9

Then isnt this file in RGB 4:4:4 color space as the maximum value that
any of the color components can take is 15 (binary 4 bit)
What my job is to read a ppm(p3) file in RGB 8:8:8 color space where
values are in 0-255 range and change these values to 0-16 range as i
explained earlier.
This much i have acheived...now i need to create another ppm(p3) image
using thes new values (a list 3 member tuples).
Now please explain if their is something wrong in my understanding and
if not please help me in creating the new ppm file