[Image-SIG] PIL on Mac OS X 10.5

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 26 22:30:30 CEST 2008

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> just for the archives: Matt Kangas recently posted a workaround showing
> how to use the pythonmac.org PIL build with the original OS X Python:
>
> http://www.p16blog.com/p16/2008/05/appengine-installing-pil-on-os-x-1053.html
>

> (not a mac user myself, so I cannot verify that this works.  comments
> and clarifications from the resident mac experts are welcome.)

yup, that should work. I don't have 10.5, so I can't tell you for sure.

However, for future reference, the last time we discussed this here, we
"determined" that there was no (easy) way to build a single installer
that would work with either python build. However, Robin Dunn has just
done that with wxPython. His trick is to put that actually package into
/usr/local/bin, then install two symlinks to it, one from each of the
python locations. It's a bit weird, but it seems to work pretty well.

Maybe for the next release.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov