[Image-SIG] error install PIL 1.1.6

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Dec 5 16:48:28 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 9:29 PM, Friedrich, Tara
<TFriedrich at mednet.ucla.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to install python image library 1.1.6 and I am having the following errors when I install the lazy way using python setup.py install:
>
> running install
> running build
> running build_py
> running build_ext
> building '_imagingtk' extension
> gcc -pthread -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC -fPIC -fPIC -I/usr/include/freetype2 -IlibImaging -I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.5 -c _imagingtk.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.5/_imagingtk.o
> _imagingtk.c:20:16: error: tk.h: No such file or directory

This probably means that you have enough of Tcl/Tk installed for the
installation process to think it's worth building the Tkinter support,
but, as Karsten points out, not enough of it to actually be able to
build that support.  To fix this, either install tcl-dev/tk-dev (or
whatever the packages are called on your machine), or tweak setup.py
to skip that part of the process.