[Image-SIG] Help with building on Windows?

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sun Feb 3 19:48:49 CET 2008

I need to build Imaging-1.1.6 on Windows.  I've downloaded what I
thought were the right packages from GnuWin32:
    freetype-2.3.5-bin
    freetype-2.3.5-lib
    jpeg-6b-4-bin
    jpeg-6b-4-lib
    zlib-1.2.3-bin
    zlib-1.2.3-lib

I edited the setup.py to add the GnuWin32 include and lib directories to
the search path.  When I run "setup.py build_ext" though, it decides
that zlib support is available, but freetype and jpeg support are not.
Looking through the code, it finds libz.a in the GnuWin32 directory, but
there is no similar libjpeg.a or libfreetype.a, so it decides those
features aren't available.

Other libraries it would accept for jpeg support are: libjpeg.dylib,
jpeg.dll, libjpeg.a, liblibjpeg.dylib, libjpeg.dll, or liblibjpeg.a.
None of these are present.

Searching for information, I see many cryptic pages discussing a2dll,
o2dll, dlltool, and so on.  I don't understand them.  Each time I try a
new set of instructions, it points me to another piece of software I
don't think I have, and don't know how to get.  I feel like a total
noob.  Can someone help?

--Ned.