[Image-SIG] matlab vs Python for Image Processing applications

Alec Bennett wrybread at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 11:31:14 CET 2008

Python, of course! Just kidding, I don't know enough about Matlab to answer
that question well. Python's great for image processing though.

As far as your code, my guess is the output of split() when fed a gif isn't
in r g b format? Try running your code on a JPEG, works just fine. But with
a GIF I get the error too. Here's the output of slightly different code:

import Image
im = Image.open("test2.gif")
print im.split()

> (<Image.Image instance at 0x00EF5288>,)

As you can see, it's returning a single item list, so when you assign three
items to the output, you're getting the error.

As far as why the output of split() is so different for a GIF vs. JPEG, I
don't know.