[Image-SIG] can't build JPEG support with PIL 1.1.6 too

Françoise CONIL fcodvpt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 14:52:11 CET 2008

Hi,

I am joining the list to submit the same problem than Bill Janssen.

I have an intel (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz) macbook with leopard (10.5.2 now)
and I do not succeed in installing PIL with jpeg support.

I am a new mac user, I searched the net for hours and what I tried did not
succeed so I am asking you some help.

I tryied the following way :
http://wiki.python.org/moin/MacPython/UniversalLibrariesAndExtensions

"sudo make install-lib" for PIL finds all libraries : Tkiter, jpeg, zlib and
freetype2

But "python selftest.py" fails :

Failure in example: _info(Image.open("Images/lena.jpg"))
from line #24 of selftest.testimage
Exception raised:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./doctest.py", line 499, in _run_examples_inner
    exec compile(source, "<string>", "single") in globs
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "./selftest.py", line 22, in _info
    im.load()
  File "PIL/ImageFile.py", line 180, in load
    d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
  File "PIL/Image.py", line 375, in _getdecoder
    raise IOError("decoder %s not available" % decoder_name)
IOError: decoder jpeg not available
1 items had failures:
   1 of  57 in selftest.testimage
***Test Failed*** 1 failures.
*** 1 tests of 57 failed.

I also tryied the following trick :
http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2007-November/024438.html

I saw the following way of installing jpeg library :
http://www.kyngchaos.com/wiki/macosx:build:libjpeg ... but I hesitate
patching my system from an unknown source

Is it possible to have PIL working with leopard ? If so, what sould I do ?

Françoise