[Image-SIG] GIF Problem: image gets loaded black

Lino Mastrodomenico l.mastrodomenico at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 21:11:03 CET 2008

2008/2/14, Yuriy Sazonets <yuriy.sazonets at gmail.com>:
>  I'm having problem with opening this image:
>
>  http://sazonets.kiev.ua/843_ful070060_FLP_00_l.gif
>
>  In [6]: i=Image.open('843_ful070060_FLP_00_l.gif')
>
>  In [7]: i.getcolors()
>  Out[7]: [(244290, 0)]
>
>  The image opens OK in any viewer I have in my OS X.

This image is, AFAIK, technically a valid GIF, but is somewhat unusual
because it contains the request that the actual pixel data should be
displaced inside the image frame with an offset of 6x6 pixels.

If I execute "giftrans -L 843_ful070060_FLP_00_l.gif", I obtain:

Image Descriptor:
        Image Left Position: 6 pixels
        Image Top Position: 6 pixels
        Image Width: 510 pixels
        Image Height: 479 pixels
        Local Color Table Flag: False
        Interlace Flag: False

I guess most image viewers simply ignore this. Seems like a bug in
PIL: IMVHO it should either ignore the position offset like other
viewers or try to honor it like GIMP does. In both cases it shouldn't
simply load a black image.

Hope this helps.

--
Lino Mastrodomenico