[Image-SIG] buffer overrun loading some TGAs

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jan 3 00:20:14 CET 2008

Adam Pletcher wrote:

>> I can repeat this with the development version.  It's an
>> RLE-compressed targa file, so you've probably hit some edge
 >> case that PIL's decoder isn't handling properly.
>
> Ah, sweet.

looks as if PIL's decode messes up for runs that spans multiple rows;
this is obviously not very common (the decoder was written in 1997, and
I'm pretty sure this hasn't been reported before), but appears to be
perfectly legal according the Targa documentation.

time to dive into some ancient C code, it seems.