[Image-SIG] Installation woe: _imaging module missing after "successful" install from source

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 9 23:39:36 CEST 2008

Karsten Hiddemann wrote:
> Amos Newcombe schrieb:
>> Then I find the binary package
>> "http://www.pythonmac.org/packages/py25-fat/dmg/PIL-1.1.6-py2.5-macosx10.4-2007-05-18.dmg"
>>
>> from pythonmac.org, and I try that, only to fail with this message:
>>
>> "You cannot install PIL 1.1.6 on this volume. PIL requires System
>> Python 2.5 to install."
>>
>> I don't know how "System Python 2.5" differs from the Python 2.5 that
>> just came on this new MacBook Pro, the one that starts out

Actually, that is an inaccurate error message -- what you need is the
python.org python, not the one installed by Apple (yes, I would expect
that "system Python 2.5" would be Apple's but that installer pre-dates 10.5

>> But the end result is, I am striking out here installing PIL. What can
>> I do?
>
> Have you had a look at the rest of this mailing list? This is a
> frequently asked question. You either install the official Python 2.5
> from python.org or you use the OS X PIL package by Christopher Barker.

actually, It's not mine, and it's the one that requires the python.org
package anyway. So your choices are:

Either install the python.org python or find and compile all the
dependencies, then compile PIL. Search this list and the web for
pointers on how to do that.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov