[Image-SIG] Trying to build EGG

Carlos D. Garza cgarza at mosso.com
Thu Jun 5 00:40:28 CEST 2008

   I am trying to build an egg for PIL 1.1.6 via setuptools and changed
the setup.py via the following patch

83a84
> from setuptools import setup
85c86
< from distutils.core import Extension, setup
---
> from distutils.core import Extension

I build the egg with the command
python setup.py bdist_egg and an Egg is build but the namespaces is not
being preserved. The file PIL-1.1.6-py2.4-linux-x86_64.egg does not
contain a PIL sub directory. IE all the files are expanded flat.

Is there some trick to creating an EGG such that I can import it via
pkg_resources?

IE I am trying to import the packages via a command like

from pkg_resources import require
require("Imaging")
import PIL

   Does any one have an idea of what might be going wrong?