[Image-SIG] Please test PIL package on OS-X

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Sat May 3 01:14:18 CEST 2008

Karsten Hiddemann wrote:
> Here is my experience with it on a Mac OS X 10.5.2 system:

Thanks for trying it:

> - clicked on the SimplePILTest thing. Nothing happens. Is it broken?

oops, sorry, I didn't tell you what to do with it!

Drag and drop a *.jpg on it -- it should make a copy with "Watermark"
printed in top, in the upper left hand corner.

You can also open the "Console" app, and it should give you a bit of output.

Sorry, I didn't want to complicate the test with a gui toolkit.

> - I try to start it via Terminal:
> $ ./SimplePILTest.app/Contents/MacOS/python

I don't expect that to work.

>  So I download the Python 2.5.2 build from python.org and install
> that. After this, the PIL package installs fine.

Yes, this installer is built for the python.org build, not the Apple one
-- we could do that to, but I don't have 10.5, so I can't do it.

> - Now I try to run the script by hand:
> $ python SimplePILTest.py SafetyGirl1-small.jpg

> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/ImageFont.py",
> line 205, in truetype
>     return FreeTypeFont(filename, size, index, encoding)
>   File
> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/ImageFont.py",
> line 121, in __init__
>     self.font = _imagingft.getfont(file, size, index, encoding)
> IOError: cannot open resource
> - It needs the font file, which isn't in there. So I do:

Correct -- arrg! sorry about this, the font is bundled with the *.app,
but I didn't give you it.

> $ cd SimplePILTest.app/Contents/Resources/
> $ python SimplePILTest.py ../../../SafetyGirl1-small.jpg
> #Processing: ../../../SafetyGirl1-small.jpg
> It is a JPEG, (461, 615), RGB image
> writing out a version with some text on it:
> - It works, it actually produced a watermarked image! Wait, that means
> that I should have just dropped the image on the App? (tries) Yes, that
> works, too. Maybe I should have tested that before installing Python
> 2.5.2 and PIL and the other frameworks to test the standalone version.

That would have been nice.

> So, to sum it up: It does work, very nice work. But you should have
> described a little better what one is supposed to do to test it. ;)

Yes, I should have -- sorry. Thank you for being so persistent!

> What I dislike: There's no way to uninstall these thing again right now.

Blame Apple for that -- these are standard Apple packages.

Anyway, I think you can simply remove them by hand. You need to delete:

(if you don't want to keep using it)

(if you only want to remove PIL)

If you do remove all those, would you mind testing the .app again, just
to make sure?

Thanks for testing.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov