[Image-SIG] bold and italics of ttf fonts

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sat May 17 02:48:00 CEST 2008

I don't know how OpenOffice creates the other variants.  Some programs
(Firefox, for example) use double-striking to embolden a font, and
skewing to create a false italic.  The screenshot you show could be a
skewed italic, but the bold is clearly not just double-struck.  I would
be interested to hear of other peoples' solutions to these problems.
I've used skewing for italics, and it works well if you work over-sized
and subsample down to get good antialiasing.