[Image-SIG] Help Installing PIL 1.1.6

Russell E. Owen rowen at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 20 21:25:00 CEST 2008

In article <2F43092B-9C2C-4865-9AF3-5B25094124D1 at gmail.com>,
 Daniel Mellis <dpmellis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running OS X 10.4.11 and python 2.5.2 and when I run "python
> setup.py install" I get the following error message:
>
> --- using frameworks at /System/Library/Frameworks
> building '_imaging' extension
> Compiling with an SDK that doesn't seem to exist: /Developer/SDKs/
> MacOSX10.4u.sdk
> Please check your Xcode installation
> gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -
> fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -
> fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -DHAVE_LIBZ -DWORDS_BIGENDIAN -I/
> usr/local/include/freetype2 -IlibImaging -I/Library/Frameworks/
> Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include -I/usr/local/include -I/Library/
> Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/python2.5 -c
> _imaging.c -o build/temp.macosx-10.3-ppc-2.5/_imaging.o
> unable to execute gcc: No such file or directory
>
> I'm not very familiar with the unix aspects of OS X, so some hand
> holding would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I agree with Chris. But to comment on your specific question: it looks
to me as if you don't have Apple's developer's tools (a.k.a. XCode)
installed -- it can't seem to find the C compiler (gcc). To build PIL
from source you have to have the developer's tools installed. Then you'd
have to build various unix libraries from source. It's a lot easier to
use the existing binary if you can.

-- Russell