[Image-SIG] [Pythonmac-SIG] python 2.6 on mac seems to break compatibility

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 24 18:41:01 CEST 2008

Mark Bestley wrote:
> I can see several choices

yup -- it's easy to do all or nothing with macport or fink, though I do
see folks using macports to satisfy the dependencies for some python
extensions -- I wonder how?

> If 1 works good - 2 or 3 would take more time

4) Use the pre-built Universal Framework libs available from:

http://www.kyngchaos.com/wiki/doku.php?id=software:frameworks

I think UnixImageIO and FreeType will get you everything you need.

These are dynamic libs that are built so that they can be used as OS-X
Frameworks, and have a structure so that they fit in well with
traditional unix builds.

you need to do a bit of path manipulation to get the PIL build to find
them, but they work fine.

The downside is that your PIL will then be dependent on them -- which is
not a problem unless you want to distribute your PIL build.

I think it would be a good idea to establish these Frameworks as a
"standard" way to support these libs with MacPython extensions, but I
didn't get much interest when I proposed it, and I haven't had the time
to push it myself.

I edited PIL's setup.py to support using these Frameworks a while back.
I haven't got it tested enough to submit a patch to PIL, but I've
enclosed what I did with this message.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov