[Image-SIG] Announcing my PIL repository

Alexey Borzenkov snaury at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 13:22:05 CEST 2008

Hello, fellow Image-SIG subscribers,

PIL 1.1.6 has been released almost two years ago. And as some of you
may remember, I have sent several patches to this list since then, but
there hasn't been any reply to my emails from developers for some
reason, and I don't even know if my patches are accepted or not, if
they require any work, etc.

Anyway, previously my PIL branch was part of a bigger repository that
I couldn't open to everyone, but now I have found a way to split it
into a separate repository (using bzr-svn), so everyone can look at it
if they want to:

    svn://kitsu.ru/pil/trunk

Many revisions wouldn't be of any interest to anybody (they just
fiddle with setup scripts), but there are some features (I haven't
sent to this list yet) that might be interesting to some of you who do
raw image data processing and use Image.fromstring and Image.tostring
heavily:

    - Add P;4R raw type, where high and low 4-bits are swapped.
    - Added RGB to RGBa dummy conversion, plus added BGR;15 and BGR;16
packing code.
    - Added a very simple RGBa->RGBA conversion

And of course it includes all the patches I sent to this list.

Binaries for Python 2.4 and Python 2.5 on Windows are also available:

    http://kitsu.ru/pil

The are built using mingw (gcc 4.3.0) and are linked against jpeg-6b,
tiff-3.8.2, freetype-2.3.7 and ActiveTcl 8.4.19.1.

P.S. Please let me know if there is anything else missing.
P.P.S. And I hope that PIL is not dead and we will see some releases
in the future. Almost two years without any new release and without
any public repository to watch for is very tough. :(