[Image-SIG] IP Geolocation

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Sep 9 16:08:30 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Jason S <agi20dla at gmail.com> wrote:
> Laura & Edward Cannon wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 4:12 PM, agi20dla <agi20dla at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I created an IP geolocation script with another popular scripting
>>> language using the Tiger/LINE database from the Census Bureau.  Is there
>>> such a module for Python?  I need to get street level IP Geo for at
>>> least USA addresses, but also for overseas addresses if possible.
>>>
>> It sounds like you need a commercial solution, this kind of thing is
>> not at all what PIL does, PIL is a general purpose image library.

> I posted here because the Image SIG said this would provide

Well, let me just say this, having been listening on this list for
quite a while there has not been much discussion on this (I can't
remember any at least).

Therefore if you're willing to be a bit of a pioneer this is probably
a fine place to discuss it.

I see two parts:

 1. getting the geoip info out of the image
 2. doing the lat/long to address lookup

Part 1 is definitely on-topic, though I can be of little help. I don't
see any reason why you'd have to pay for a tool to extract the data to
do this (though sometimes that does help you get your task done more
quickly).

Regarding part 2, I've done address to lat/long lookup using google's
apis but the reverse is not possible directly (though there is some
community contributed tools for doing it, with limitations). However
you may get more experienced and knowledgable answers on this last
part in other forums. I've done my research in the context of Google
maps and found some good information in their google group.

Back to part 1, is this information stored in the exif header? Do you
have a sample image you can post somewhere?
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode