[Image-SIG] Image Correction For Colorblind Users

Oliver Siemoneit oliver.siemoneit at philo.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Sep 12 18:30:53 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have implemented two image correction algorithms which probably could make
images more accessible for people with a color vision defeciency (see for
some image samples and python code the zip archive attached).

- One algorithm does an optimized color2gray transformation trying to
preserve more details and thus overcoming the problems of normal color2gray
transformation

- Another algorithm does some image correction on colored images, something
like the people on http://www.vischeck.com/daltonize/ do.

Here my questions:

1.) Is this something for the PIL standard distribution, especially the
color2gray algorithm?

2.) My problem is: Both algorithms are very slow. You can't use them really
on a productive system (e.g. a server where all pictures which have been
uploaded are automattically transformed). Is there a way to speed this up?
Is there a way to do some C-Plugin for PIL (I think I cannot optimize the
pyhton code anymore)? I need a fast and platform independent way to
transform images with the above algorithms (since I try to get that in the
Moin Wiki standard distribution, see
http://moinmo.in/FeatureRequests/EnhanceTransclusionSyntaxForImages and
http://moinmo.in/AccessibleMoin)

I would be very happy if I could get some advice how to speed that up and/or
how to integrate that with PIL. I am not an expert programmer. I'm at my
wids' end.

And sorry if this mail is a littel bit "off-topic" on this mailing list. But
I had no idea whom to ask.

Cheers,
Oliver