[Image-SIG] PIL Handbooks

abel deuring adeuring at gmx.net
Fri Apr 3 17:08:03 CEST 2009

On 02.04.2009 21:23, Wayne Watson wrote:
> I'm very new to PIL, and don't see any handbooks for 1.1.6 or the forthcoming
> 1.1.7. In fact, this looks like the extent of them:
>
>     * Python Imaging Library Handbook for 1.1.5
>       <http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/index.htm> (online)
>     * Python Imaging Library Handbook for 1.1.3
>       <http://www.pythonware.com/media/data/pil-handbook.pdf> (PDF)
>
> Somewhere in my recent search I see that 1.1.6 has some features like digital
> cameras and scanners. Ah here, <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PIL/1.1.6>

I can't remember when exactly scanner support was added to PIL, but it
is there since quite some time. I think though that it is not described
in the Docs subdirectory of PIL's sourcecode.

OTOH, the Sane module is basically a wrapper for the Sane C library, so
you'd get most information from http://www.sane-project.org/html/ -- you
"only" need to translate all the C stuff into Python ;)

Regarding cameras: I can't claim that I have a good overview of all PIL
features, but I think "features like digital cameras" means effectively
support for cameras in the Sane library. I wouldn't take this too
serious: While Sane has some camera support, cameras and scanners are
quite different and the Sane API is quite closely tailored to suit
"scanning needs" so that I'd say that camera support is quite marginal.

Abel