[Image-SIG] Drawing, blobs, rubber bands, moving objects on the canvas (No html)

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 4 19:48:40 CEST 2009

(I have three posts delayed in moderator check needed. All with html
format. Maybe this will break through. It's pure text.)
As I start to warm up to PIL, I'd like to know a little more about what
I might be able to do. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to overlay
a mask over an image. That looks feasible through some combo of the
convert method and the use of the alpha channel. It's quite conceivable
that I will want to move the mask around the image with a mouse.  Those
are just a few things I have in mind.

I've become familiar with part of  the Grayson book whose contents are
partly available on the web. It's mostly about graphics, Tkinter and the
Pmw toolkit. Chapter 10 below looks of interest in the sense that I
would like to move objects around the canvas, and possible stretch
objects. Is it possible to do these things in PIL (under Python Win)?
Secondly, I really have no experience with Pmw, but it would be of
interest to use it to see how his examples work. All of the book
examples are on the web. Is Pmw a freebie, and still maintained?

 From chapter 10 of Grayson's book on Tkinter

10 Drawing blobs and rubber lines 237
    10.1 Drawing on a canvas 238
    Moving canvas objects 243
    10.2 A more complete drawing program 244
    10.3 Scrolled canvases 251
    10.4 Ruler-class tools 254
    10.5 Stretching canvas objects 258
    10.6 Some finishing touches 262