[Image-SIG] Creating a Transparent Image and Placing it Over Another Image

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 7 04:52:51 CEST 2009

Wayne Watson wrote:
> So far I've used Python with Tkinter, and a touch of PIL. I'm pretty
> bound by Tkinter, since I'm modifying a program that used it quite a bit
> for the GUI ability rather than analysis of images with IP (image
> processing).

OK, then dig around in the Tk docs and examples you can find.

In any case, what I'm suggesting is that you don't need any fancy
transparency in PIL -- you simply draw your image onto the screen
(probaly add it to the Tk Canvas), then you draw your circle with the
cross-hair on top of it, using Tk -- you aren't changing your image, so
you can get it back by re-drawing it, or just removing the cross hair.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov